Caraval by Stephanie Garber || REVIEW

Caraval has been everywhere lately, if you've not heard of it then you probably live under a rock. I'd seem a mixed bag of reviews so I decided to read it for myself to see what all the fuss was about. The plot is based around a game called caraval and follows two sisters; Scarlett and Tella. They have wanted to visit caraval since they were children and they finally get the chance, but everything is not as it seems and the game is more than they expected.

Author: Stephanie Garber Series: Caraval #1  Published on: 31st January 2017 Genre's: Young Adult, Fantasy Format: E-book Source: Purchased
────────────────
Synopsis

Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.

Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.

────────────────
My Rating
────────────────
Likes
✶ I was gripped from the very first page and read this book extremely fast. There was something about the writing style that I just loved, at some points I physically had to force myself to stop reading to go and be *slightly productive.

✶ I am in love with the world of Caraval. Even though it can be cruel and awful, it was also magical and so interesting to read about. I've never read another book like this and I thought the idea was really original. I know some people compare this to 'the night circus' but I didn't like that book so not for me. 

✶ Stephanie Garber did an amazing job with the world building. It was so descriptive I actually felt like I was seeing what the characters were. (P.S. this is her debut novel, and it doesn't feel like it at all!) 

✶ I really enjoyed the mystery element to this book, you never quite knew what was going on (but in a good way) and I really enjoyed that. It kept me guessing until the very end. 

Dislikes
✶ My main issue with this book was that I felt really disconnected from the characters. I didn't really have any investment in them and was mainly reading it for the world building. 

✶ I also didn't really like the romance, it felt sudden and rushed and just unnecessary really. I think authors need to realise we don't need romance in every book. If it's not going to be believable then just leave it out altogether. 

Just a warning. This book could be triggering to some people as it does feature parental abuse quite heavily. 
Overall, I really enjoyed reading Caraval. I originally gave it 4/5 stars on Goodreads but while writing this review I decided to change that to 3.5. I still enjoyed it but the characters were a problem for me. 



16 comments

  1. I love the sound of the world but I want to love the characters and the romance too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really did love the world and the descriptions of it but the characters for me just weren't great, I didn't mind them particularly but I didn't love them either...

      Delete
  2. My review for this goes up tomorrow. I agree with just about everything you said! I loved the magic and mystery. I didn't love Scarlett or the romance. I can't wait to see where book 2 goes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep an eye out for it! Yeah it was just kind of an okay read, like I did enjoy it but it got A LOT of hype that I don't think it deserved...I'm looking forward to reading book 2 as well though. Thanks for stopping by <3

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review! I adored this book, and I am happy that you enjoyed it as well :D I will read anything Stephanie Garber writes in the future :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will as well, I can't wait for book 2!

      Delete
  4. We still have book 2. :) I hope it expands more on Caraval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too! I'm really looking forward to seeing more about this world!

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked this one in spite of a few reservations. I have it on my shelf and am crazy excited about reading it. Eventually. :D Thanks for the review, Kirsty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah even though I feel like I could of liked it more if I hadn't had such high expectations for it I still really enjoyed it! I hope you do too <3

      Delete
  6. Caraval has definitely been really hyped for awhile now. Both the US and UK covers are just so gorgeous and immediately grab your attention! I read this one really quickly too, always curious to find out what would happen next in the game. It was magical and cruel, and I love that you couldn't really trust anything or anyone because so much of it was an illusion. But I actually didn't really like Scarlett's sister ...(I'd say more, but don't want to leave spoilers.)

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt exactly the same. I loved the plot and the world building. It was so magical and beautiful. But then the characters really let me down, I just didn't really care what happened to them...I'm still do excited to read book 2 though! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I really dislike it when I don't feel connected to the characters of a book. The world of Caraval does sound really mysterious though, so I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is so annoying isn't it! I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it!

      Delete